SC Johnson Releases 2016 Sustainability Report
The notion of going beyond is a fundamental part of SC Johnson. We’re always trying to do what’s right, not just what’s required,” said Fisk Johnson, Chairman and CEO. “From creating great products that make life easier, to continually expanding our ingredient transparency, to helping families in need, to us going beyond is how we live up to our responsibility to future generations.”
A New Dialogue on Transparency
SC Johnson believes families want products that work, made from ingredients they can trust. Consumers should be able to make educated choices about what they bring into their homes. The company: •Continued its efforts with the ongoing dialogue about chemicals, disclosure and so-called natural products. Many companies claim their products are better because they are “natural” or contain “natural fragrances.” In reality, all fragrances, including essential oils, are complex mixtures of chemicals.
- Launched the industry’s first 100 percent of fragrance ingredients disclosed product with its Glade® Fresh Citrus Blossoms air care collection.
- Became the first major consumer packaged goods company to list specific fragrance ingredients for products sold across Europe.
Protecting the Environment
The company made great environmental strides in 2016 and exceeded aggressive goals for the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and global manufacturing waste, including: •32.7 percent of energy use globally now from renewable sources
- 51.7 percent greenhouse gas emissions reduction from SC Johnson manufacturing sites since 2000, indexed to production
- 76 percent waste reduction at SC Johnson manufacturing sites since 2000, as a ratio to production
- One-third of SC Johnson global office and manufacturing sites now hold “zero waste-to-landfill” status**
One of SC Johnson’s greatest examples of “Going Beyond” this year is its commitment to provide products that protect against mosquitoes that may carry disease. As the world’s largest producer of pest control products, the company used its 60 years of insect research experience to create educational materials for families to make informed decisions about mosquito bite prevention. The company also ramped up manufacturing of personal repellents globally to meet the demand brought on by the outbreak of the Zika virus and: •Launched a global website in 13 languages to educate about mosquito bite prevention.
- Committed $15 million in product and resource donations to those in need.
- Delivered over $200 million in philanthropic contributions over the past 10 years alone.
SC Johnson’s 2016 Sustainability Report is online now at www.scjohnson.com/report . The report is available online in Chinese, French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.
( courtesy of http://www.go-green.ae/ )